If you have been involved in a car accident, contact your Tacoma car accident lawyer immediately (especially if you or someone in your vehicle has been injured). Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. When filing for an insurance claim, you will need to deal with an adjuster for the insurance company. Often times the adjuster has the best interest of the company, not you, in mind. The following information from your Tacoma car accident lawyer will discuss one of the main negotiation tactics that adjusters use: offering you a low settlement. If you have questions after reading the following information, contact your Tacoma personal injury attorneys for a consultation.
Low Settlement as a Negotiation Tactic
Insurance adjusters are encouraged to close their claims as quick as possible, with paying as little to the claimant as they are able to. So it comes as no surprise that insurance adjusters used tactics to try to negotiate you into accepting a lower settlement amount. One of the most common negotiation tactics that an adjuster will use is to offer such a low settlement to you that it can be considered to be ridiculous. For example, you and your attorney have discussed what your bottom line settlement amounts are after determining that your claim could be worth between $15,000-20,000. You are at $10,000 while your attorney is at $12,000. Your attorney sets the settlement amount to $25,000. The adjuster calls your attorney and offers $4,000 to settle. This offer can mean several things:
- The adjuster works for a company that would rather take the claim to litigation than settle
- Your settlement demand was way too high
- The adjuster is hoping you will lower your expectations as well as your settlement demand
- The adjuster has very little room to negotiate
When this happens, your attorney can do the following:
- Asses the amount you are asking for and adjust if necessary
- File a lawsuit and begin preparations for litigation
- Speak with the adjuster and ask if they have any room to go up in their amount. If so, your attorney can work with the adjuster to compromise a settlement.
- Your attorney can ask to elevate the claim and try to negotiate with a manager
Schedule a Consultation with a Tacoma Car Accident Lawyer
When you have been involved in a car accident, you want the most experienced Tacoma car accident lawyer on your side. Call Greene & Lloyd, PLLC at (253) 770-0808. Greene & Lloyd, PLLC are the Tacoma personal injury attorneys that will be dedicated to helping you fight for the best possible outcome in your personal injury claim.